Monday 30 May 2011

Vitaminwater is for the birds!

So... over the past few months, I've been trying out different flavours the worldwide phenomenon, Glaceau Vitamin Water.

And the conclusion I've come to is this - Vitamin Water is really nothing but watered down water with flavouring and funky colours. It doesn't taste very vitamin-ey! I don't think it even has any vitamins in it at all actually.

I must admit, the marketing guys over at Coca-Cola did a stellar job in making sure that a part of me WANTS to have this drink in my hand. I wanted to make sure that people saw me buy it and walk around with it proudly freezing my fingers off. Big ups to them!

But the fact remains, it's tasteless.

The first time I tasted it, I had bought the Vitamin-C one. No idea what it's called. I wanted to start off with something a little familiar before venturing into the vast and colourful world of Vitamin Waters...

I haven't hated vitamin C that much in my life. I didn't quite understand why it didn't at least taste like orange. At the very least, a lime! It was like drinking a 500ml mixture of "mineral" water and 20ml orange concentrate. Like they ran out of concentrate just as they were about to mix mine.

However, I didn't let that deter me. I simply blocked my nose, and drown the liquid like the boss I am. Besides, I wasn't gonna let my hard earned money go to waste just like that. I bought the thing, might as well drink the thing, right? Riiight!

So after that horrid experience, I convinced myself that one bad apple can't represent the whole bag, so I tried another one. Then another one, then another one, then another, and another... all yielded the same results - a feeling of "there's something missing here".

So after my last "sample" I decided that this here liquid was not for me. Maybe I wasn't cool enough to be drinking it. Maybe I wasn't under the right social influence. Maybe I needed to hang around with skaters with skinny jeans and Vans. Maybe there was something wrong with me. Maybe it's and "acquired taste" typa thing. Maybe it's like wine. Maybe these were from the bad batch!

I started to blame myself for not liking GVW (I can't keep typing that long ass name).

So... as part of my extensive pro-bono research campaign. I went to the mall today and searched for at least one bottle of the stuff. My mission - to find the nutritional information and compare it to my usual drink of choice - 100% pure fruit JUICE blend from Woolworths!

See what I like about this juice of mine... it tells you straight up... it's a blend! You shouldn't get surprised when you start tasting shades of bark in there. IT'S A BLEND! You'll never know what they put in there. I'm kidding. :)

Those numbers don't mean anything to me. If I want to drink vitamins, I'm sure I'll find a way. Drinking an attempt at "healthy non-carbonated drink", has completely failed.

At the end of the day it's all a flavoured fashion statement. Not for me, thanks.

Sources:
  1. Center for Science in the Public Interest
  2. The Consumerist


Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 killa comment(s): on "Vitaminwater is for the birds!"