Thursday 27 November 2008

PaperCut teh CocoNut

Quick question, is that how you spell "coconut"?

Anyways, got some shocking news this morning: that I am a coconut.

Can you beleive it?

A coconut.

For some of you who don't know, in South African lingo, a "coconut" is a black person who acts white. Be it in the way they talk, behave, the music they listen to, basically the general atypical black mannerisms.

Apparently that's what I am.

A coconut.

This was after we were listening to Kaya FM's debate between Hlomla Dandala (COPE youth league member) and some other dude (ANC youth leauge member). Talking about the current state of affairs between this new political party (interim name: Congress of the People aka COPE) and the old/current regime under ANC.

Anyways, this guy we're listening to the broadcast with, out of nowhere, says he's not gonna sit here and listen to Hlomla with his coconut accent. This (I assume) is because Hlomla speaks proper English without the Xhosa (or whatever) accent. And then turns to say, like Mxolisi and them.

I'm like huh!?

And that's when it dawned on me. He's calling me a coconut becuase I speak better English than him. Oh. So the way you speak determines what you are now? Interesting.

I'm not gonna sit here and defend the way I talk, my choice in music, the way I dress, my friends, or anything else for that matter. If you think I'm a coconut, then great. At least I'm me. Imagine if I spoke the same broken English as you. I would kill myself!

Anyways.

I'm called a whole lotta things, simply because I don't call myself anything in particular. Strangers call me a Rasta because of my dreads. Sotho speaking people call me a Mosotho because of my fluency in the language.
Basically you can never tell the kinda person I am from just basing your labelling on one aspect of what you see. I'm a lot of things put together meticulously in one. It takes a long time to get to understand exactly the kind of person I am. And what I basically am about.
Case in point: I never know what to put in those online forms where they want you to fill in the 'About Me:' field. I just can't do it. I don't know why. So I instead put a whole lot of things that I think define me. I add to it every chance I get, so that means if you read it once, you'll still never really know everything about me.

So.

The moral of the story here, is that everything I'm not makes me whatever it is I am.

edit: oh, and... I don't give a flying fuck what you think of me!

:P

have a nice day.
Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

2 killa comment(s): on "PaperCut teh CocoNut"

Anonymous said...

atleast you gave them something to talk about!

tehPaperCut said...

that's what I'm about.

Thanks for the comment