Thursday 25 September 2008

White people need a proper hero!

I'm sick and tired of this crap.



First of all, I don't think some white people even know the real meaning of the word 'hero'. To be quite honest neither do I. Let's face it, 'hero' isn't neccessarily one of those words you'd look up in a dictionary. You just go through life assuming you know what it means.



Hero. Come on. It's pretty straight forward. Hero: the guy who runs into a burning building to save his daughter's favourite doll. Now there's a hero. He doesn't have to save his favourite item in the house, he saves the one thing he knows means something to another person. You get the idea. Good.



Then comes this guy... Vernon Koekemoer. Yes, Vern The Man. He does the most heroic thing evar! (that's right evAr) The heroic of all heroes. Oh yeah. He goes to a rave festival thingy (with a very original name: H20) and does the unthinkable. Poses for a photo for some viral marketting scheme. Yes. That's pretty much all he did. Next thing you know, he's everyfuckingwhere...



All this stemming from a few shots of a guy with waist-high tennis shorts.


Turns out he was just a regular oke, who decided he needed a good time and went to the rave. Can't remember what his real name is though, I think he's 52 or something... Granted the marketting strategy worked. And I have absolutely nothing against that.


Anyway this post is not about good ol' Vern, it's about this guy...


There I am, chilling on an easy weekday listening to The Fresh Drive (5fm) and they just so happen to be having the special guest... Mr Koekemoer himself in the studio. So I'm thinking "O hell yeah, I wanna know stuff about this guy".


Cool, so they introduce him and they basically explain how the whole thing unfolded (him becoming famous and all). Good, now I know the basics. Then it's time for the phone calls. And white people are calling in like flippin maniacs. They're so "stocked" to be talking to him, and that Fresh has brought him into the studio, they can't even ask proper questions... around the end of the show. Some two idiots (two separate callers) call in and can't shut up about how much a hero Vern is. They on some...


Ja, howzit Vern, listen ey Vernon, you're like my flippin hero ey!


I'm like, wat!? Hero? Haibo! How now?


And this is like a looong time ago. Around Feb or something. And this whole 'hero' thing seems to have spread everyfuckingwhere. Since that guy called into the show, only thereafter did I realise how much white people like saying: "you're my hero". Not in the sarcastic or whatever way. And I'm not talking about people who've actually done anything heroic, I'm talking here aboout regular people. Like people who just pose in photos. Just like Vern the Hero.


I think white people need proper heroes. Sorta like black people have so many heroes. And I mean real heroes. I would hate to hear a black kid say they don't have a hero. Alive or dead. Most black people I know, look up to their family members as heroes. Yes, even those with brothers in jail and whatever.


With our history most black people alive today, especially those who died at the hands of the previous government, are our heroes as black South Africans.


But considering the way whites were living pre-94, I doubt they actually have anybody to look up to in a good light. What can they honestly say they have done to better the lives of white people today?


White people need a hero. ASAP.


Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 killa comment(s): on "White people need a proper hero!"